Goosman hearing to be in September

Derek Kilbourn

Sounder News

Wednesday, April 3 2019

The case of William Goosman, charged with dangerous driving causing death, will now move forward to a preliminary hearing on September 9 and 11, 2019.

Goosman is charged with dangerous driving causing death, having been the driver of a vehicle which struck and killed Gabriolan Jay Dearman on January 24, 2018.

Dearman had been jogging eastbound on the north side of Berry Point Road, just east of Twin Beaches Mall, when the eastbound van driven by Goosman crossed the road and hit him.

Defense attorney Michael Ritzker, representing Michael Goosman, and Brett Webber, Crown Prosecutor, were in Nanaimo Provincial Court on March 26.

Webber began the proceedings asking the judge for a publication ban on the proceedings.

The presiding judge pointed out that since the accused has chosen a BC Supreme Court trial by judge alone (no jury), it would be unusual to put a ban on publication.

The judge confirmed with Ritzker that the accused wished for it to be a judge-only trial.

The March 26 focus hearing was for the Crown and defense to decide how much time would be needed for the preliminary hearing.

Webber said he had up to six witnesses that would be called, with the main issue for the hearing being the charge of dangerous driving.

“Some of the witnesses that you see on the document were witnesses as to the pattern of driving prior to the fatality.”

Webber said he believed two days would be sufficient for the preliminary hearing. Ritzker concurred.

In all, Webber said there are six witnesses who will be called by the Crown. Ritzker did not have any additional witnesses added to that list.