Letter: Re: “Steam explosion sends islander to hospital” story in Dec. 8 Sounder

Monday, December 15 2014

The tragic accident that was reported on in the latest Sounder - “Steam explosion sends islander to hospital” - would have been much improved by including the following comment from Fire Chief Rick Jackson, which can be found in the comments section of the Gabriola Volunteer Fire Department website www.gabriolafire.ca.

Chief Jackson stated, “It is the opinion of myself and others that even a code-installed and inspected system would very likely have experienced the same fate, given the fact that all of the components were thoroughly frozen.”

As Chief Jackson clearly states, this accident could have happened to anyone. The history of the house in question is irrelevant and I believe it is misleading to imply otherwise. It seems that erroneous conclusions have been jumped to by those who find it convenient to do so.

On the other hand, it is wonderful that so many Gabriolans have come to the aid of the victim, Vicky Bowes. The kindness, love and support expressed by this community toward Vicky and her husband Mike Swallow is the true spirit of Gabriola.

~ Heather Cameron